History of Bawey Wali Mata
The Bahu fort today serves as a religious temple is situated on the left bank of the river Tawi.
This is perhaps the oldest fort constructed originally by Raja Bahulochan over 3,000 years ago. The temple inside is dedicated to the Goddess Kali popularly known as Bave wali Mata.
Fort is surrounded by a beautiful terraced garden. The famous temple of Bawey Wali Mata inside the Bahu Fort is also known as the temple of Mahakali Goddess and is considered second only to Mata Vaishno Devi. The famous temple of Bawey Wali Mata inside the Bahu Fort attracts pilgrims every Tuesday and Sunday who come here to worship the presiding deity of Jammu.One can really imagine, on looking at the fort; the wars fought, the invasions prevented and even the grandeur of the Royal families.
Today the fort is surrounded with beautiful terraced gardens, which is a favourite picnic spot of the city folk. It has waterfalls, flowers and big trees.
History of Bahufort
The earliest historical recorded link to the fort is that of Raja Jambu Lochan and his brother Bahu Lochan, sons of a powerful ruler Agnigarbha II of the Jammu dynasty of Suryavanshi kings.
Bahu, the eldest of Agnigarbha’s 18 sons, is credited with establishing the Jammu city and building the fort. The earlier fort structure was modified over the years to a stronger fortified structure. The present fort was rebuilt, probably at the same location as the ancient fort, by Autar Dev, the grandson of King Kapoor Dev in 1585. Over the years the fort underwent demolitions and reconstructions from time to time, until Maharaja Gulab Singh reconstructed the present fort in the 19th century, which was further refurbished during the rule of Maharaja Ranbir Singh. They first established temples for their tutelary deities; the image of Mahakali deified in the temple in the fort was brought from Ayodhya.