17th August 2023 Daily Current Affairs
National & International Appointments
1. PayPal names Intuit’s Alex Chriss as its new CEO
- PayPal appointed Alex Chriss as CEO, replaced its longest-serving chief executive officer Dan Schulman in August 2023.
- He currently serves as the Executive Vice President and General Manager of Intuit’s Small Business and Self-Employed Group,
- The change of guard marks a watershed moment for digital payments giant PayPal, which has been looking to push deeper into the cryptocurrency payments space with the launch of a U.S. dollar stablecoin last week.
2. Parsi New Year 2023: 16th August
- The Parsi New Year is observed on August 16, 2023.
- This day marks the beginning of the Zoroastrian calendar.
- The Parsi New Year, also known as the festival of Navroz or Nowruz, falls between July and August in India.
- Derived from the Persian words ‘Nav’ and ‘Roz’ which literally translates to ‘new day’, the tradition of celebrating Parsi New Year is believed to have been observed by Iranians and Zoroastrians for the past 3,000 years.
3. G20 Digital Economy Working Group meetings to begin in Bengaluru
- The G20 4th Digital Economy Working Group and Digital Economy Ministerial meetings will be held in Bengaluru from August 16th to 19th.
- Aim: To discuss the various issues relating to digital information, service delivery to citizens and the growth of the digital economy
- There would be the Digital Innovation Alliance summit on August 17 and 18th to recognize and support innovators from various G20 member countries and Guest countries.
4. Govt launched Vishwakarma Yojana for skilled traditional craftsmen
- The government would launch a special scheme for traditional craftsmen and workers during Vishwakarma Jayanti on September 17.
- Objective: To benefit individuals skilled in traditional craftsmanship, particularly from the OBC community. Weavers, goldsmiths, blacksmiths, laundry workers, barbers, and their families will be empowered through the Vishwakarma Yojana
- The PM showcase the importance of capitalising on the demographic dividend and preparing a skilled workforce
5. Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports is organizing Y20 Summit in Varanasi
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is organizing Youth 20 Summit-2023 from 17th August to 20th August in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The themes include Future of Work: Industry 4.0, Innovation and 21st Century Skills, Peacebuilding and Reconciliation: Ushering in an Era of No War, and Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction.
- The Y20 Summit will bring together youth experts, decision-makers, and youth representatives from G20 countries.
2. G20 Film Festival begins in New Delhi
- Veteran actor Victor Banerjee and Amitabh Kant (India’s G20 Sherpa) have inaugurated the G20 Film Festival in New Delhi.
- Aims: To celebrate and showcase a vibrant and collaborative partnership existing amongst the G20 and invited countries in the field of cinema.
- It is organized by the India International Centre and the G20 Secretariat of the Ministry of External Affairs.
- The event will continue till 2nd September.
7. Amrit Udyan reopened for public from 16th August 2023
- Amrit Udyan, formerly known as the Mughal Gardens has been open to the public starting from today for a period of one month (until September 17).
- This will be the second edition of Udyan Utsav that aims to display the vibrant summer annual blossoms to visitors.
- In a first instance, these iconic gardens at Rashtrapati Bhavan are being accessible twice within a single year.
- Visitors can visit the gardens from 10 am to 5 pm (last entry at 4 pm).
8. 1st crude oil transaction in local currency undertaken between India-UAE
- The first-ever crude oil transaction under the newly implemented Local Currency Settlement (LCS) system took place between Abu Dhabi National Oil Company and Indian Oil Corporation Limited.
- Both Indian Rupees and UAE Dirhams were used for the transaction,
- India and UAE have a strong oil and gas relationship and the UAE is a key partner for India’s energy security.
- UAE is the fourth largest source of crude oil and the second largest source of LNG and LPG for India.
9. NHA and IRDAI collaborate to boost digital health integration in insurance
- The National Health Authority (NHA) and IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) jointly organized an exclusive three-day Accelerator Workshop
- Aim: To help insurance companies complete their Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) integration and to facilitate adoption of Health Claims Exchange (HCX) specifications
- IRDAI also issued a circular advising the insurers and providers get on-boarded to the National Health Claims Exchange (NHCX).
10. In a first in India, Goa to give free IVF treatment in govt hospital
- Goa has become the first Indian state to offer free in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment.
- Chief Minister Pramod Sawant inaugurated the Assisted reproductive technology (ART) and intrauterine insemination (IUI), at the Goa Medical College (GMC) in Bambolim.
- About IVF
- It’s one of the more widely known types of ART IVF works by using a combination of medicines and surgical procedures to help sperm fertilize an egg and help the fertilized egg implant in your uterus.
Install "Sarkari Naukri, Pvt Jobs, Trusted & Breaking News App" Highest Installs in J&K - Click me to Install
Install JKUpdates App for Android and Iphone
JKSSB Govt Jobs - Check Updates
Bank Jobs, IBPS, All Banks Updates
Jammu & Kashmir News Check All Latest News from J&K
Government Jobs, Private Jobs - Check All Jobs Updates