2nd August 2023 Daily Current Affairs
1. England pacer Stuart Broad announced his retirement
- England pacer Stuart Broad announced his retirement from international cricket
- He sits fifth on the all-time list of wicket-takers and is one of only two fast bowlers to take over 600 wickets
- He has also played in 167 test matches, 121 one-day internationals, and 56 international T20 games.
- In Test cricket, he stands as the sole English player boasting two hat-tricks to his credit
- Broad is only the second fast bowler and second bowler for England to reach the milestone
2. Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurated the G20 EMPOWER Summit in Gandhinagar
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Zubin Irani will inaugurate the G20 EMPOWER Summit in Gandhinagar in July 2023.
- Theme- ‘Women-Led Development
- Aims: To accelerate women’s leadership and empowerment in the private sector across G20 countries.
- Objective: To ensure sustainable, inclusive, and equitable global economic growth.
- Highlights: G20 EMPOWER agenda including the G20 EMPOWER Tech Equity Digital Inclusion Platform and the Best Practices Playbook
Banking & Finance
3. SIDBI has been collaborating with CIIE at IIM, Ahmedabad
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI),announced its partnership with the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad’s (IIM-A) startup incubator Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship
- Aims: To promote Deep Tech and science-led Innovation by facilitating access to seed capital.
- Objective: To support startups with meritorious ideas and technologies important for India’s goals for 2047 to become self-reliant.
4. Sangampreet Singh, Avneet Kaur clinch gold medals in World University Games
- Indian archers Sangampreet Singh Bisla and Avneet Kaur bagged gold medals each in the individual events in World University Games 2023 in China
- Indian archers defeated South Africa’s de Klerk in a finale.
- India bagged a total of nine gold, three silver, andv5 bronze medals, securing fourth position.
- China with 17 gold, 5 silver, and 4 bronze medals, followed by Korea with 10 gold, 10 silver, and 5 bronze medals, and Japan with 10 gold, 6 silver, and 7 bronze medals.
5. CAIT launched National Digital Nagrik Forum to digitalise traders
- Confederation of All India Traders introduced the creation of an online platform National Digital Nagrik Forum(NDNF).
- Aims: To advance the rights of traders and consumers and other sections of society and shape policy to boost the digital trade economy.
- NDNF will focus on five core themes. First, consumer protection and online safety with a core focus on efficient grievance redressal.
- Objectives: To conduct awareness camps, digital and physical dialogues and training
Banking & Finance
6. Core sector growth hits 5-month high of 8.2% in June 2023
- Data released by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry on July 31 shows that India’s eight core sectors registered a growth of 8.2 percent in June is the highest in the past five months.
- The growth rate of 8.2 percent in June for India’s eight key infrastructure sectors, which include coal, crude oil, steel, cement, electricity.
- The core sector growth for May has been revised upward from 4.3 percent to 5.0 percent.
- The core sector growth in June 2022 was 13.1 percent.
Summits & Conferences
7. For the first time in Asia, World Coffee Conference to be held in Bengaluru
- India is set to host its inaugural World Coffee Conference, organized by the International Coffee Organization (ICO), in Bengaluru, marking its fifth edition
- ICO serves as the chief intergovernmental organization aimed at advancing coffee trade and encouraging collaboration among coffee-producing and consuming countries
- K G Jagadeesha, CEO, and Secretary of Coffee Board of India, revealed that tennis player Rohan Bopanna would endorse the event as its brand ambassador.
8. Iga Swiatek won Women’s Tennis Association title 2023
- Polish Player Iga Swiatek secured her fourth Women’s Tennis Association title of the year 2023 by defeating Germany’s Laura Siegemund in Warsaw
- He currently holds the position of world No. 1 in singles according to the Women’s Tennis Association rankings.
- She has earned the title of four-time major singles champion, conquering the French Open in 2020, 2022, and 2023 as well as the US Open in 2022.
- She became the first player from Poland to achieve a major singles title.
Honours & Awards
9. PM Narendra Modi honored with Lokmanya Tilak National Award 2023
- The Lokmanya Tilak National Award 2023 in Pune will be conferred to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The 41st recipient of this award will be the PM.
- Every year on 1st August, the death anniversary of Lokmanya Tilak, this award is bestowed upon individuals who have made remarkable and extraordinary contributions to the progress and development of the nation.
- To inaugurate the services of the completed second phase of the Pune Metro, the PM will flag off the metro rail.
10. Viktor Axelsen, An Se-Young win Japan Open finals 2023
- Olympic badminton champion Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen beat Indonesian Jonatan Christie to bag the men’s singles title while Korean An Se-young outplayed He Bing Jiao of China to win the women’s singles crown at the Japan Open 2023 in Tokyo.
- World number one Axelsen, who recently retained his European title in Poland ,to win his third BWF title of the year.
- In the women’s singles, world number two is Se Young from Korea.
11. Muslim Women’s Rights Day is observed on 1 August
- Muslim Women’s Rights Day is observed across the nation on August 1 to celebrate the enactment of the law against triple talaq
- The central gov enacted the law on August 1, 2019, that has made the practice of instant triple talaq a criminal offence.
- The government has strengthened self-reliance, self-respect and self-confidence of the Muslim women of the country and protected constitutional, fundamental and democratic rights by bringing the law against the triple talaq.
12. World Wide Web Day celeberated on August 1
- World Wide Web Day is a day dedicated to web browsing and is celebrated on August 1
- Aims: To highlight the importance of the web in improving people’s lives by facilitating communication, access to information and resources, education and empowerment.
- The World Wide Web was created between 1989 and 1993 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee when he was employed at CERN (the European Organisation for Nuclear Research).
13. Telecom Regulatory Authority of India signed MoU with C-DoT
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) and Centre for Development of Telematics have signed MoU.
- Aims: To establish the mechanism of technical and institutional cooperation in telecommunications.
- According to Secretary of the Department of Telecommunication T K Rajaraman, this partnership will open new horizons in policy research, regulatory studies, and knowledge dissemination of upcoming technologies in the telecom and broadcasting sectors.
Install "Sarkari Naukri, Pvt Jobs, Trusted & Breaking News App" Highest Installs in J&K - Click me to Install
Install JKUpdates App for Android and Iphone
JKSSB Govt Jobs - Check Updates
Bank Jobs, IBPS, All Banks Updates
Jammu & Kashmir News Check All Latest News from J&K
Government Jobs, Private Jobs - Check All Jobs Updates