Trump says Iran deal ‘largely negotiated’, Hormuz reopening on cards

US President Donald Trump on Sunday said Washington and Tehran were nearing a broad agreement aimed at ending the ongoing conflict and easing regional tensions, adding that reopening the Strait of Hormuz would form a key part of the proposed understanding.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the framework had been “largely negotiated” and that only final discussions remained before a formal announcement.

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed,” Trump wrote.

He said the discussions centred on a wider “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE” and suggested the deal could help stabilise a region shaken by months of military escalation and diplomatic uncertainty.

Trump said he held a series of high-level conversations from the Oval Office with several regional leaders, including Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Qatar Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Pakistani military chief Asim Munir, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, Jordan’s King Abdullah II and Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.

Install our App & get daily FREE Mock Test

The US President also said he spoke separately with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and described the conversation as having “gone very well.”

The announcement followed intensified diplomatic activity involving key regional players amid efforts to secure a long-term understanding after months of conflict surrounding Iran.

However, Iranian media disputed Trump’s suggestion that the Strait of Hormuz would be fully reopened under the proposed arrangement. The semi-official Fars News Agency described the claim as “far from reality”, saying any agreement would continue to leave operational control of the strategic waterway in Tehran’s hands.

“Based on the latest exchanged text, if a possible agreement is reached, the Strait of Hormuz will still be under Iran’s management,” the agency reported.

It added that while shipping traffic could return to pre-conflict levels, Iran would continue overseeing navigation procedures.

Never Miss Breaking News Alerts – Install App - Android - IOS

“The management of the strait, determining the route, time, manner of passage, and issuing permits will remain exclusively under the control and discretion of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” the report added.

The latest diplomatic push follows high-level meetings in Tehran involving Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir, with Islamabad emerging as a key facilitator in ongoing negotiations.

Pakistan’s military earlier described recent discussions as “encouraging”, while sources involved in the talks told Reuters that the proposed arrangement was “fairly comprehensive to terminate the war.”

According to Reuters, the reported framework could unfold in phases, beginning with a formal end to hostilities, followed by resolving the Strait of Hormuz issue and opening a negotiation window for a broader agreement.

Trump has continued to alternate between signalling optimism and issuing warnings. Earlier, he told Axios he would decide whether to resume military action against Iran, saying: “Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells.”

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, currently visiting India, reiterated Washington’s key conditions for ending the conflict.

“Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. The straits need to be open without tolls. They need to turn over their enriched uranium,” Rubio said.

Speaking in New Delhi, Rubio added that diplomatic efforts remained active and suggested developments could emerge within days.

“Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say,” he said.

Iran has repeatedly denied seeking nuclear weapons, insisting its uranium enrichment programme serves civilian purposes. Tehran has also demanded the lifting of sanctions and an end to restrictions affecting its ports and oil exports.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said tensions had eased but cautioned that key disagreements remained unresolved.

“The trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes, but there are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators,” he said.

Baghaei added that Tehran’s immediate priorities include preventing fresh US military action and securing a broader de-escalation in the region.

 

5L+ App Installs - Trusted by Lakhs of Users - Install--> Android - IOS

👉Join Our Telegram Channel

JK News TodayWorld News